Back up data and applications from an on-premises system to Azure using Azure Backup or a partner solution. Azure Backup Server can write backups on to Azure Backup. Alternatively, a partner solution such as Comm-vault Simpana or Veeam Availability Suite, hosted on-premises, can write backups to Blob storage directly or via a cloud endpoint such as Veeam Cloud Connect.
Install and Upgrade Azure Backup Server in On-premises:
Azure Backup Server is designed to run on a dedicated, single-purpose server. You cannot install Azure Backup Server on:
- A computer running as a domain controller
- A computer on which the Application Server role is installed
- A computer that is a System Center Operations Manager management server
- A computer on which Exchange Server is running
- A computer that is a node of a cluster
Always join Azure Backup Server to a domain. If you propose to move the server to a different domain, install Azure Backup Server first, then join the server to the new domain. Moving an existing Azure Backup Server machine to a new domain after deployment isn’t supported.
Whether you send backup data to Azure, or keep it locally, Azure Backup Server must be registered with a Recovery Services vault.
Create Recovery Service Vault:
- Sign in to your Azure Subscription in Azure portal
- On the left blade, Select All Services
- In the All Services dialog box, enter Recovery Services,
- On the Recovery Service Vault dashboard, select ADD
- Provide the name of vault, subscription, RG & Location details
- When you’re ready to create the Recovery Service Vault, select Create
It will take a while to make the Recovery Services vault. Monitor the status notifications in the Notifications area at the upper-right corner of the portal.
After your vault is created, it’s visible in the list of Recovery Services vaults. If you don’t see your vault, select Refresh.
Set storage Replication:
1. Select your vault resource and go to the Properties
2. Click to Update the Backup Configuration in under the BACKUP it will shown the replication type of storage vault.
After choosing the storage option for your vault, you are ready to associate the VM with the vault. To begin the association, you should discover and register the Azure virtual machines.
Download the Software package:
- In the Recovery Service Vault choose your vault and Click backup in left side blade
- Choose On-Premises under the workload running blade
- Once selected click to Prepare Infrastructure
- In the Prepare infrastructure blade that opens, click the Download links for Install Azure Backup Server and Download vault credentials.
You use the vault credentials during registration of Azure Backup Server to the recovery services vault. The links take you to the download Center where the software package can be downloaded.
Installing the Software Package:
- Click Microsoft Azure Backup to launch the setup wizard
- On the Welcome screen click the Next button. This takes you to the Prerequisite Checks section. On this screen, click Check to determine if the hardware and software prerequisites for Azure Backup Server have been met. If all prerequisites are met successfully, you will see a message indicating that the machine meets the requirements. Click on the Next button.
- Microsoft Azure Backup Server requires SQL Server Enterprise.Further, the Azure Backup Server installation package comes bundled with the acceptable SQL Server binaries needed if you do not wish to use your own SQL. When beginning with a new Azure Backup Server installation, you should pick the option Install new Instance of SQL Server with this Setup and click the Check and Install button. Once the prerequisites are successfully installed, click Next.
- Provide a location for the installation of Microsoft Azure Backup server files and click Next.
- Provide a strong password for restricted local user accounts and click Next.
- Select whether you want to use Microsoft Update to check for updates and click Next.
- Review the Summary of Settings and click Install.
- The installation happens in phases. In the 1st phase the Microsoft Azure Recovery Services Agent is installed on the server. The wizard also checks for Internet connectivity. If internet connectivity is accessible you can proceed with installation, if not, you need to provide proxy details to connect to the Internet.
- The next step is to configure the Microsoft Azure Recovery Services Agent. As a part of the configuration, you will have to provide your vault credentials to register the machine to the recovery services vault. You will also provide a passphrase to encrypt/decrypt the info sent between Azure and your premises. You can automatically generate a passphrase or give your own minimum 16-character passphrase. Continue with the wizard till the agent has been configured.
- Once registration of the Microsoft Azure Backup server successfully completes, the overall setup wizard proceeds to the installation and configuration of SQL Server and the Azure Backup Server components. Once the SQL Server component installation completes, the Azure Backup Server components are installed.
When the installation step has completed, the product’s desktop icons will have been created as well. Just double-click the icon to launch the product.